Tuesday, March 19, 2013

The Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa

Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron fey—ironbound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her.
Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's stuck in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart
*****
I loved the Iron Daughter just as much as the previous book, the Iron King. It was a fast-paced, adventurous book with a wonderful team of characters and an intriguing world full of treacherous fairies.
I will keep this review short, since my thoughts are pretty similar to my opinion on the first book in the series. You can read my review of The Iron King here. If you have not read The Iron King yet, this review might contain some spoilers.
First, I loved the development of Meghan and Ash's romance. The beginning was heart-wrenching, and the ending made me infinitely happy. It also left some open questions as to what will happen to Ash in the future, so I will definitely have to pick up the sequel.
Puck was just a lot of fun in this book. He made me laugh, just as he did in the first book. The only thing I did not particularly like was his crush on Meghan. I'm not the biggest fan of love triangles, and in this case it is so completely obvious who "the one" is that I just felt Meghan's feelings for Puck felt forced and unreal.
The storyline was as always gripping, action-packed, taking you from one world into the other and never leaving you bored. And what is more, there is a mysterious, sarcastic cat popping up every now and then, which is always a plus. The description is beautifully done, but it didn't slow the plot down. Julie Kagawa sure knows how to find that balance.
All in all, a completely worthy sequel with a great ending. I will definitely continue with this series.
Find my video review the first two books of the Iron Fey series here.
My rating: 

1 comment: